The choice of colours, heraldic red and gold, is not by chance. They are derived from
the coat of arms of the lords of Wiltz and those of their relations and allies of
Clervaux, Meysembourg and Beaufort, who through the centuries reined over Grosbous.
This situation came to an end
by the middle of the 17th century when Pierre JOLLIOT, subsequently ennobled, acquired a
part of the Bous domain and became the first lord. He struggled hard to bring about
unification of the area under his control and built a castle which existed until recently.
Jolliot family never lived in Bous. The current coat of arms recalls the most important
symbols of the Jolliot shield, because Pierre was the first lord of Bous and builder of
the castle, with the five-petal carnation at the top and bottom.
In 1715 the castle and the Bous area became the property of the Valensart family, who
acquired it from the Marienthal priory.The Valensart family established them selves in the
castle and lived there until the French Revolution.
The two lions in the side
quarters are from the Valensart era, who's coat of arms is composed of three lions in
three different enamel colours. The unusual arrangement was not a pleasing to the eye. On
the present shield the Lions are harmonised into a single enamel colour which enhances the
expressive effect in accordance with the laws of heraldic art.
Translated by Gavin Kerr